Pages

Monday, November 21, 2011

And so it begins......Rotary Youth Exchange 2012-2013

As I begin to write this, I am listening to the song Mother, We Just Can't Get Enough by New Radicals. It's making the title of this post so much more epic in my head, and gives me this weird tingly, fresh start feeling inside. Think, Lindsay Lohan in The Parent Trap, when she visits England for the first time and There She Goes Again by the La's is playing in the background. The Journey is starting guys...and it feels good. Yesterday, I found out that I was excepted by the Niagara on the Lake Rotary Club to be their outbound youth exchange student for the 2012-2013 school year. I just looked back on my blog, and I have talk about Rotary a few times, always hopeful that I would get in, and I finally did!!! This is officially the start of my journey, my own life...something that is MINE and no one else's. This time next year, I will be in another country, on another continent surrounded by foreign people and foreign things. How awesome does that sound?!



I have explained what Rotary is a little, but I will go a little more in depth for yall about how it works, well as much as I can tell you, but I did say I was an expert on the topic so I'll try to live up to the expectations I have set for myself. Back in the summer, I started contacting local Rotary Clubs. Since each club sends only one person (sometimes 2 but this is a rare occurrence for financial reasons), you are allowed to apply to more than one club. This is hard to do though, since out of the 4 clubs in my city, only one participated in the exchange this year, and you are technically only allowed to apply to LOCAL clubs, which basically means you live or attend high school there. Lucky for me though, NOTL( Niagara on the Lake..I refuse to type that out everytime ahha)'s high school was closed last year, so they broadened their search area for students, which means that they accepted my application, and ultimately they decided to sponsor me. So out of the 5 clubs that I contacted, 2 allowed me to apply. I attended an information night about 2 weeks ago through the St.Catharines club, which is actually my real local club, and put in an application there. This is only the preliminary application, it is short with about 4 or 5 questions on it. I submitted that, and they give everyone a first interview. So, I did this for both clubs. I had my first interview for the NOTL club last Wednesday, and I was supposed to have an interview for the St.Cath club tomorrow but I was able to cancel it because I was accepted by the NOTL club (!!!). Anyways, as I said before, after the interview, each club selects one student that they will be sponsoring, and one alternate just in case something happens and I can't go, or am no longer eligible (health reasons or lying on the application etc...but I didn't lie so I guess they only thing standing in my way is if I break my leg or something), and I was selected! BUT ( I know theres more...crazy) I am only technically 95% in, because I still have to fill out the loonnnnnggg application (18 pages in total) that involves all the person information, including medical appointment, dentist appointment, letters, pictures, the whole nine yards. Then after that (almost done!) there is one more interview, but this is at the district level. All of the Rotary clubs are encompassed into districts, mine goes from Buffalo USA to Hamilton Canada. It is one of the few international districts. So all the people selected, plus the alternates, go through this interview as sort of a rubber stamp of approval that they agree I should go. It's also separate from your parents so they can be sure that it was your idea and that you aren't being forced into going. So I have to fill out the long application and hand it in by Dec 22nd to the Youth Exchange Officer at my club, and then in January I have the district interview. Then I am officially in. Wow..that was a lot of info.

So then, once I am official (which is most likely, they rarely refuse students after passing the first interview) I get to go through all the fun stuff ( not being sarcastic, there's actually fun stuff after all the not fun stuff said above^). There is an up north weekend in February, which includes all of the people in my district from other countries that are in Canada for their exchange now (will be referred to as INBOUNDS) and the people that will be going away next year, like me (called OUTBOUNDS). I have already met 2 inbounds, Marcel from Switzerland, and Juliette, from France that are being hosted by the NOTL club. After that, there is an orientation in March for my parents and I (rules and such), then there is a Jamestown weekend and a hiking weekend later in the spring/early summer. Then I leave for my country in August for a year! I won't find out my country for a few months. I fill out the country request form in January, and then they have to go through the sending of the application etc etc and then guarantee forms and all that then I find out where I'm going. Europe though definitely...I hope.

Anyways, the unfortunate part is I still have to finish school in Canada! All this excitement the passed week and I have to concentrate on my studies until I graduate in June. Plus, I still have to apply to univeristy, and then just defer my acceptance until the following year after my exchange. So much stuff going on right now! When I found out I got accepted I freaked out! I was with two of my best friends and we all screamed and I basically cried. Actually on my way home, I balled. I was driving listening to Dancing In the Moonlight at full blast (I tend to associate good experiences with songs...it just works out that way) and it just happened..I just started balling my eyes out in happiness!

The first song I'm going to listen to when I get to my country is the one I mentioned near the beginning of this post. There She Goes Again by the La's. And I will look out the window as I am being driven to my new home, and it will mark the start of my adventure. My year abroad. This is just the start of a year of planning, and anticipation for an awesome year of my life!

0 thoughts:

Post a Comment

 

Blog Template by BloggerCandy.com