Pages

Monday, October 3, 2011

it's the most wonderful time of the year

No, I am not confused as to what month it is, I know it's October, and I know that Christmas is not in October. For me the most wonderful time of the year is AUTUMN!!!!! Well..it's sort of a tie...I guess October to January is the best time for me...minus all the snow..I don't really like the cold but I do like Christmas...Anyways backtrack to autumn (tape rewinding sound effect playing in your head). October...the changing leaves, the perfect weather, not too hot, not too cold...just jeans and a light jacket or sweater...the odd drizzly days where you can cozy up and watch a halloween movie on family channel with a warm cup of hot chocolate. Ahhhh heaven. Well that's the way it was when I was twelve, now I have to squeeze the wonderfulness in between working and homework. But, I always find the time to enjoy it. Now, on to Halloween movies on family channel. They are so childish but oh so wondrous at the same time. Halloweentown being the most epic, along with Mom's Got a Date with a Vampire, Twitches 1 and 2 and Don't Look Under the Bed. It's really strange, I always brag about being in love with the Halloween movies on the family channel, which I am, but I have never really watched or enjoyed the 'classic' Halloween movies like Hocus Pocus and Beetlejuice, the two movies that everyone asks about when I talk about the movies. I have tried watching these, but never really got into them. Wierd. I always watch at least 2 movies every weekend, although it's very unfortunate that Family decided to change their 'Popcorn Pix' layout to only include one movie at 12:00, instead of a movie at 12 and a movie at 1:30....that's 2 less movies to enjoy every weekend!

 How pretty is this...no I didn't take it..although I wish I did.

Also in October we have Thanksgiving!!! (I am Canadian...American Thanksgiving is our shopping holiday, where my mom buys all of our Christmas Presents). This weekend, my grandparents, and my Aunt and Uncle are coming over to enjoy a Turkey and all of the wonderful foods that come with it...homemade stuffing, mashed potatoes and the best part BRUSSEL SPROUTS!! ....I'm not kidding...I love them. So does my entire family...and we aren't crazy. We just have an awesome way to cook them. I don't like them unless my family makes them. If you just boil them, they are really bitter and gross. The way you do it, is cook them in chicken broth..once they are tender, drain them, then cover them in cheese. Best vegetable...so so good. Then comes dessert...pumpkin pie. The only pie I like. For some reason gooey fruit doesn't appeal to me...apple pie, cherry pie etc etc...not good. Pumpkin pie: good. I also get 2 days off of school so that I can stuff my face for that much longer, this really isn't a good way to combat childhood obesity, but the government knows what they are doing.....its a stat holiday. The only problem I have with having Thanksgiving in October is the fact that we now have two wonderful things in one month and 0 in November..I think I might get like a PA day at school but that's over once you get to university. Also, when I was younger and the teacher used to order the calendar headers from American Companies, and the Turkey picture was always on the November month and it took me like 4 extra years to realize that Thanksgiving was in October and not November because when I was 4 I had no concept of time. Do you know what I mean? Way to confuse a child.

 Remember these bad boys...theres totally food on the November one.

In other news, mentorship is getting better. I got to do real science the other day and the rats came in and I get to help take care of them. But that's about it on that note.

I put in my preliminary application for the Rotary Exchange!!! It took me a really long time to write, even though it was only one page of questions. The longer answers were to the questions like "Why do you want to be an exchange student" and "what do you hope to accomplish". I still have to go to the information night with my parents, and if they like this application I have to do an interview, and then fill out a 20 page application including letters, essays, short answers, pictures, doctor/dentist/teacher visit...on and on and on. But it is sooo worth it. I have never wanted to do anything this bad my entire life. I just want to do something that is for me, my own journey. Learn and new language, meet new people, become bicultural. I'll keep you posted on what happen with this...I'm so excited though. I spend my time googling Rotary every night...instead of doing math..but oh well.

If you have never had the chance to experience Halloweentown..here's a little glimpse of what you are missing. Go watch it.



1998 was such a wonderful year.
Anyways, after I wrote this, I accidentally deleted it, and then blogger saved my blank draft...and there is no way to go back to older saved drafts...thanks blogger, I love rewriting posts. I hope I captured the original magic.

toodles

1 thoughts:

Stephanie said...

0 things in November!? What about being forced into buying my a gift? ;)

Post a Comment

 

Blog Template by BloggerCandy.com